Saving more than a couple of thousand dollars is not as difficult as it sounds. I am not going to harangue you on "you can do it", or "importance of saving" or "why not saving can kill you before the world ends in 2012." No. Nothing like this. Here are few suggestions on how you can actually save few dollars, if not couple of thousands, next year.
1. Calculate the amount of money you spend buying kitchen paper. It may not be quite substantial, but why waste money on these papers when you can replace them with cloth napkins. Spending even a dollar on disposable papers seems to be a waste. Buy a cloth that can be washed and reused. You can save approximately $ 85 a year.
2. If your family enterprises of you and your spouse, both working, why spend so much on cable. Unplug it and save anywhere round $ 600 per year.
3. Digital camera is everywhere the only device where we use batteries. If you use it a lot, switch to rechargeable batteries. Doing this will save not much, maybe $ 24. But every penny saved in this kind of economy is 3 pennies earned.
4. Why do we need a landline when all the family members own a mobile phone? I have disconnected it and I sometimes use Skype instead of landline, and mobile most of the times.
5. If you are still left with any gold after, after the "sell gold" advertisements, sell it off. Even if it is small gold scraps, sell it. But do not mail it across. It is better to sell it at the neighboring jewelry shop. You can earn some amount here.
6. Chopped and shredded vegetables, cheese, and fruits cost much more than the un-chopped, fresh ones. Instead of spending more, you can get the fresh ones and slice it at home. Doing this for a year can help you to save $ 250. Is not it worth a try?
7. Stop going to the gym and find a way to exercise free of cost. If the only reason you go to gym is losing weight, there are numerous ways to do it without a gym. By doing this you can save as much as $ 420 in a year. Till now, this is the largest contributor to your saving.
8. Get rid of your printer. Okay, may be that's not possible, you can at least promise yourself not to print without necessary. Ink cartridges, color or black & white, can burn a hole in your pocket. I have to replace the cartridge once a year. However, it still costs me around $ 80 to $ 100.
Remember these points while preparing a budget for 2010. These are just 8 examples of saving money. We, together, can come up with probably hundreds of them, and imagine the amount we could save. If you have any such suggestion, please comment and suggest, for me, for all the readers. …