It never fails. My best business ideas come just as I'm drifting off to sleep. Every darn time.
I'll bet yours do, too. And I'll also bet that, just like me, you typically roll over and promise yourself that you'll jot down the idea in the morning.
Or maybe your best ideas come while you're …
- Having dinner with friends
- Sitting in a movie theater
- At your kid's soccer game
And you always promise yourself that you'll jot down the idea later.
Let me tell you: Later, that idea will be long gone. It'll be lost in the ether. And it will avoid you the harder you try to remember it.
Face it – your most brilliant ideas always arrive suddenly and without warning. They never come at a convenient time. So when they do arrive …
- Turn on your bedside light
- Pull over to the side of the road
- Dash into the theater's lobby
- Grab a scrap of paper at your kid's soccer game
And write them down right away, when they first come to you, when they're NEW. Here are three good reasons why:
1) Your idea has its greatest power when you're most excited.
2) A brand new idea is HOT. If you capture it now, you'll have it handy when you and your business are running cold.
3) Ideas are hard to hold onto. They're feisty. They like to move around. And if you do not grab them, they'll shoot right into the head of one of your competitors.
Always keep a notebook and pen with you. You never know when a terrific idea will squirm into your other awkward occupied cranium. You'll want to capture it. And the only way to do that is to write it down immediately.