Logo is the name, symbol or trademark of a company. Purpose of logo is to create a memorable image of product or company in customer's mind. It also differentiates products and services of different companies. A good logo grabs the attention of people. It demands some precision and lots of thought to design a communicative business logo.
Summarized below are 8 basic principles that one can use as initial steps to a good logo design:
1. Do some Analysis: Do not rush into developing business logos. Do some analysis about the company, its values, its business and the clients it is catering to. Understand what you want to communicate through your logo. Logos need to be designed, so as to convey message about the company. If you are designing a logo for a product, be specific about the target customers.
2. Eye Catching: Make your logo design an eye catching one. Use clear font so that it is easy to read and easy to identify. Use attractive and unique color scheme to avoid misunderstanding with other logos or products.
3. Memorable: A good logo design should make a memorable expression on the customer's mind. It should be simple enough to convey a clear message and create positive image of your company in customer's mind. Only then, the customer will be able to recall about your product in subconscious state of mind when looking to purchase.
4. Flexibility: Your logo design must be flexible enough to work in any situation. Say on product wrappers, website, promotional material, etc. Two important things to keep in mind here are – logo size should be appropriate and colors should be such that they can adjust to the background on which the logo will be used not only today but also in future. You need, to plan for future use of logos, at the development stage itself.
5. Simple: People are drawn to simple logos because they are easy to understand and remember. Busy, crowded logos are difficult to understand and divert the attention of the viewer.
6. Fonts: Some times designers select fonts which look classy but difficult to read. So this is worthless. Select Fonts that are easy to read and understood.
7. Colors: Good logo design should work well in black and white. If your logo does not look good in black and white it would not look good in any other colors. Choose proper colors that represent your company well.
8. Be Unique: Another important feature of good logo is ability to stand out from crowd. Copycat logo creates confusion in customer's mind because they are difficult to differentiate. Result is loss in sales. Do not stick to ordinary design. Your company is unique means it has a different market presence and business space. Keep all these things in mind while designing your logo.